The DeBence Antique Music World Museum houses a collection of more than 200 antique mechanical musical instruments dating from the mid–1800’s to the 1950s. This collection was begun by Jake & Elizabeth DeBence in the 1940s and continued to grow through the years. In 1965, the DeBencesretired to the Franklin, PA, area and housed the collection in a barn, which they opened to the public for viewing. After Jake’s death, Elizabeth offered the collection for sale. It was her fervent wish that the collection remain intact and in the area.
Citizens of Franklin and the surrounding area, realizing what a treasure the collection was, formed a non-profit corporation to purchase the collection and a building in which to house it. In a little over 7 months, the community and surrounding area was able to raise over $1 million to accomplish this task. The collection was then moved from the DeBencefarm to historic downtown Franklin. It now resides in the old G. C. Murphy 5 & 10 store on Liberty Street.